For those of you who I don't talk to often and follow my blog, we thought Logan was going to come early since my exams were showing my body was prepping for labor at just 36 weeks! So being that we didnt close on our home until 36 weeks, we jumped into a panic and tried to move in and get the nursery done ASAP! We got everything done by 38 weeks and just waited and waited. However, now I've learned that those internal exams don't mean anything (as to when you will go into labor atleast) bc I ended up needing to be induced since we went past my due date and was 40+ weeks. Man did I feel huge at that time.
I was so hesitant about being induced since I heard horror stories from my friends and how they can turn into a C section. I spoke to my doctor once we went past the due date and he explained to me there was a greater risk if the baby stays inside me for too long ( placenta not performing well, baby getting too big and I wouldn't be able to deliver vaginally, and maconium in the sac). I was nervous but he said I was a great candidate for an induction and scored a 13 on the bishop scale which is great! My dr said all he would do is break my water and give me the lowest dose of pitocin to jump start my contractions. I was already dilated to 4 cm, 90 percent effaced, and baby was super low at +1 station as of my last dr's appt.....so I figured let's do the induction!
The morning of my induction.....
Dan and I were told to come into the hospital at 3 am.....little did we know that was just to fill out paper work and get into a room bc my dr didn't come to the hospital until 7 am. At 7 am my induction started.
The doctor came in and said i was already close to 5 cm on my own, broke my water and gave me an IV with pitocin like he said. By 9 am my contractions hit HARD! At that time, I was begging for an epidural. The anasteciologist came at 10 am and gave me the epidural. WOW, what a difference! The epidural was heavenly!!!! I was talking, laughing, and relaxing having contractions back to back under a minute apart at a time. By 10 :45 the dr. came in to check me and said I was fully dilated and ready to push but had to finish up doing some things. So I did some practice pushes with the nurse until he returned. The dr. came back by 11:15 and said we were good to go. I ended up needing an episiotomy (which I was so scared of getting) but I actually didn't feel it like people said.
By 12:03 little Logan Cole was born weighing a sopping 8lbs 3 ounces ( the dr's predicted 6 and a half to 7 pounds....glad I got induced bc he would have been huge if he stayed in there longer and would have needed a C section). The dr even let me pull him out. What an AMAZING experience!!! I was able to take him on top of me for a few minutes but he was quickly taken from me, since they wanted to check him bc there was a little bit of maconium in his sac. Three hours later ( boy was I losing my mind waiting for sooooo long to see him again) we were reunited in our nursery suite. I was on cloud 9!!!!!!!!! What a great feeling to hold your son for the first time. Nurses said he was super healthy and I could start breastfeeding ( ouch does that hurt when you first get started!).
Logan Cole Smith
8lbs 3 Oz
Born on August 3, 2012
We stayed at the hospital until Sunday afternoon and were so happy to return home! The past 2 weeks have been tough but I wouldn't trade this new life for anything. Motherhood is such a great thing! I love taking care of this little man and I love knowing that I'm giving him the best by breastfeeding. He is so worth all the pain. Pregnancy was really hard on me and labor wasn't easy but as cliche as it sounds.....I would do it all over again in a heart beat!!!
Stay tuned for the journey of being a mommy......
First bath :)
4 days old
No comments:
Post a Comment